Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The First Week


Hi-
So the first week of the CSA is quickly approaching. I've been working a bunch on the farm with Sue and Claude trying to get everything planted, keep the weeds at bay and watering to try and combat the hot, dry weather. A good rain will do a world of good for a lot of the plants; some of them are just waiting for some water to really get going. But regardless, we've got lots of great greens for you all to sink your teeth into next week!

Andrew (my husband) and I had our first big salad from the garden last night for dinner. Salad might sound like a light supper, but we packed it full with spinach, mixed lettuce and scallions from my garden, along with some lovely kale that Sue gave me, added some walnuts, some seeds (sunflower and pumpkin) we had in the pantry, sharp cheddar, some dried raisins and other fruit and some crutons and drizzeled my oil/vinegar/maple syrup dressing over the whole thing and dug in. It was heavenly! All those fresh, crisp greens tasted so good after working out in the sun the whole day- it was a perfect dinner for a summer evening when I couldn't bear to turn the stove on and make our kitchen any hotter than it already was (it becomes somewhat of a furnace in the summer). Salads don't have to be boring, and they don't have to be a side dish or something you eat before the meal: they really can be the meal. Honestly, I was very hungry after working outside all day and it was a very satisfying meal. Andrew and I together ate the whole bowl of salad...

Also, I wanted to mention that I'd love it if people would either post a comment or send me an email with any ideas you might have for preparing the vegetables that you'll be getting in the CSA. I didn't grow up eating lots of fresh vegetables, so I've been trying hard to find lots of great ways to cook up all this wonderful food. I thought it would be a nice use for this blog if people would make meal suggestions that I could then post to share with everyone. Last year I didn't know what to do with beets, or kale or swiss chard, but since I've discovered some methods, I can't get enough of them. I hope some of you have a similar experience with a vegetable that's new to you this year. If you'd like to share a recipe or an idea, email me at luckymoonfm@gmail.com or just post it as a comment. Looking forward to trying them out!

To get us started, here's my salad dressing idea. It's not revolutionary, but it's very tasty: Mix olive oil (or whatever oil you care to try), vinegar (I like cider vinegar, but white or wine will work too) and maple syrup. You could probably also try honey. I start by mixing a small amount of each and tasting it frequently to get it to the sweetness/pungency that I like. Drizzle a little of that over a big bed of greens, and dig in!

All the best,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment