Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Week 18

Hi everyone,
So I've been a little lax about the blog lately- sorry about that, but unfortunately, I don't foresee much improvement anytime soon. Between working at the farm, a second part-time job, keeping up with my own gardens and organizing a local dance festival coming up in a few weeks, I'm kinda swamped.
But I can at least post the week's veggies....
Here we go:
Salad Mix
Arugula
Red Marble Onions (Cipollini type)
Summer Squash
Beans
Tomatoes
Cherry Tomatoes
Edamame (aka soybeans)
Eggplant
Purple Viking Potatoes (purple-pink skin with white flesh)
Spaghetti Squash (it really does look and taste a lot like spaghetti! I was skeptical, but it's true!)


For the edamame, the way I often cook and it is to boil the pods in salted water for 5 to 6 minutes, until tender, then drain, salt and eat them right out of the shell. A very tasty snack. Andrew, my husband, eats whole platefuls of them at a time :>)

-you can also boil them, then shell them and use them in any dish that is nice with lima beans. I use them in a simple stew made of tomatoes, onions and corn. They're sweet and not too starchy.

Here's a link to another blog with some fun ideas for using edamame.

For spaghetti squash, and really any type of winter squash (the kind with a hard rind- like butternut, acorn, pie pumpkins, delicata, hubbard, etc), The basic method is to cut them in half, remove the seeds and stringy stuff right in the middle, then bake them face down in a casserole pan at 350 degrees until the flesh is tender. Spaghetti squash is supposed to be stringy; so stringy it looks like spaghetti, but most of the others will cook into a nice smooth puree.


Here's another blog with a tasty recipe for spaghetti squash-

That's what I've got this week-
Thanks!
Sarah VanNorstrand
for Lucky Moon Farm




No comments:

Post a Comment